As you age beyond 50, there will be periods of both joy and stress. It’s important to build your resilience and find healthy ways to cope with challenges. This ability will help you make the most of the good times and keep your perspective when times are touch.
- Focus on the things you are grateful for. As you lose people and things, life becomes even more precious. You stop taking things for granted and appreciate and enjoy what you have even more.
- Accept the things you can’t change. Rather than stress out over things we have no control over, focus on the things you do have control over. Face your limitations with dignity and humor.
- Look for the silver inning, when facing major challenges, try to look at them as opportunities for personal growth.
- Acknowledge and express your feelings. You may have a hard time showing emotions, perhaps feeling that such a display is inappropriate and weak. Don’t deny what you ate going through. Find healthy ways to process your feelings, perhaps by talking with a close friend or writing in a journal.
- Take daily action to deal with life’s challenges. When a challenge seems too big to handle, sweeping it under the carpet often appears the easiest option. But ignoring the problem doesn’t make it go away. Instead, take things one small step at a time. Even a small step can go a long way to boosting your confidence and reminding you that you are not powerless.
“The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible.”
For information on being fit and fabulous over 50, please visit us online at brasstownmanor.com or 706896-4285. Brasstown Manor is a retirement community that offers independent living, assisted living, and memory support. We are located at 108 Church Street, Hiawassee.